Friday, July 01, 2005

PoP-PR's Jeremy Pepper checks in on "Who really controls the media?"

from Musings from Pop! Public Relations Blog - great stuff!

Who really controls the media?

As a teenager, I was always highly amused by the The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, and one of its many claims that Jews control the world's media. Part of the bemused stance is I keep waiting for a knock on my door, handing over a media network. I think I'd like Conde Nast, because I really like their latest magazine launches: Lucky, Cargo and Domino. And, I'd get the New Yorker for free.Well, it turns out that The Protocols isn't true.

From the HighVizPR blog [wink-wink] comes a story on who really does control the media, an interesting circular relationship of board members sitting on each other's boards. I would say that it's suprising, but it really is not - mainly because I would not be surprised if this is common for more boards than just the mainstream media.

It's also interesting that just like there is a circular nature of the mainstream media, there's the same circular nature of the blogosphere. With all the whining against the so-called MSM, the blogpshere sure likes to copy the worst aspects of it - like, oh, since you are an A-lister, you are the only thing that matters in the whole wide world.

But, hey, this blog is about PR. Just like there are certain media outlets that are tier one, certain blogs are tier one - it's just harder to separate the chaff from the wheat in the blogosphere, and a tier one blog today might be tier four (or lower) tomorrow. You don't see that type of drop in a month for MSM...

###

No comments: